[mythtv] Is MythTV ready for Python 3.9?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri May 29 23:52:36 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:21 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The side tag was just merged, so pending some mirrors syncing the --tag f33-python should no longer be necessary.

(as follow-on to Bill Meek in particular, but also
background to others for future expectation
setting....).

In addition to the usual mirror delays (typically a
day or so for major merges, but have been known
to be somewhat longer), there are also a handful
of random packages that failed to rebuild, mostly
due issues outside of the python 3.9 uplift (they
would likely not have successfully rebuilt in python
3.8 due to other issues)(*).

The package wranglers are working through
those random packages (although AFAIK none
are directly required by MythTV; as I said,
using the side tag I was able to build MythTV
with python 3.9).

Fedora is the best of times(**), and the worst of
times(***).  Some settling will occur during
installation(****).

(*) There is always a trade-off when doing a
     major uplift as to when to merge, as there
     are always a few packages that will fail
     to rebuild, but you don't want to wait for
     100% to get fixed before the merge.  The
     proposal owner has to make an decision
     as when the rebuild is "good enough" to
     merge for Fedora-Next, and expect the
     package wranglers to do the usual
     cleanup for their specific issues.
(**) Often the latest of the latest with all the
     newest shiny included.  Yeah for leading
     edge capabilities!
(***) Often the latest of the latest with all the
     newest poo that needs to be cleaned up
     (often by the upstream) once the rubber
     hits the road (and you may need a bigger
     power washer to clean up some of that
     poo).
(****) While *some* package wranglers are
     either upstream maintainers and/or
     experienced code engineers, a lot are
     not (they packaged the package because
     *they* wanted it available), and they depend
     on the upstream SMEs to do some of the
     heavier lifting, or at least provide the correct
     advice for moving forward, so some delays
     for rebuilding some packages may happen.