[mythtv] Is MythTV ready for Python 3.9?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:49:33 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python on Fedora Rawhide is being updated to 3.9 as we speak.
>
> I don't have a good way to test this until it's in the stable repository since I'm still not allowed to build MythTV in COPR due to ffmpeg, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has done any testing yet.

Well, using something like:

    koji mock-config --tag  f33-python --arch=x86_64 f33

one can get the fragments needed to configure mock
using the side tag for the python 3.9 rebuild (there are
various ways to utilize that fragment) and run the
build locally.  And while I rarely care about side-tags
before they land in the updates/stable repo, the
approach has come in handy from time to time.

I have done so, and MythTV builds.  I have no
idea if it actually runs (that would be actual QA
work), and I would not be surprised if some 3rd
party python3 package might need an update
or three (since, as we all know, building does
not always equal working).

Anyway, once the side-tag hits updates/stable
the MythTV buildbot network should build with
it and identify any issues since there is a fedora
rawhide builder (and from time to time some
change in rawhide does require changes
elsewhere, which is why that builder is a useful
canary).