[mythtv] Picture in Picture broken

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:01:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 at 21:05, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Read something on the mailing list about the PIP not working in v30. I
>> > have not used it myself for the last few years but I have tested this
>> > now on my living room system with today's master and it is really broken.
>> > What happens is that when the PIP is added the screen is updated about
>> > two times per second.

OK - what I'm seeing looks like a problem with the new A/V sync code.

When a PiP is added, A/V sync (for the main player) breaks and it
can't recover. This line repeats and repeats:-

2020-03-06 09:54:57.943347 I [17324/17324] CoreContext
mythplayer.cpp:1793:AVSync  Player(0): Dropping frame: Video is behind
by 65ms

with the same 65ms.

A quick pause and unpause and everything is fine again.

>> > When trying to exchange the PIP with the main screen then the GUI is
>> > locked and a "kill -9" of mythfrontend is needed.

Yes - confirmed - though I think that may have been a problem for a while.

For what its worth, at some point I'm going to remove PiP support and
re-build it. The code is a horror show.

Regards

Mark