[mythtv] Is MythTV ready for Python 3.9?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:18:34 UTC 2020

On 5/30/20 1:27 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ansible still relies on 3.8 and won't install, but I'll just give it
>> some time.
>
> Ansible is one of the (random) packages that
> need further work to build in 3.9 that were
> alluded to earlier(*).  There was a fix applied
> upstream to ansible a while ago to address
> the issue, but the (initial) build for the python
> 3.9 side tag did not also include any new level
> of ansible with the patch (that work would be
> up to the ansible packagers).  The backport
> of the fix has been since been applied, and
> a build has been successful, so it should
> make it to the rawhide repo in another day
> (or two).
>

> (*) Perhaps amusingly, the failure was in the
> test suite, which has explicit testing for the
> python version, and it previously did not
> include 3.9 as a valid python.  So the test
> suite proved that the test suite failed.

Ansible works OK now. The only error I'm seeing with the
Python bindings in 3.9 is:

   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/MythTV/dataheap.py", line 18, in <module>
     import xml.etree.cElementTree as etree
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'xml.etree.cElementTree'

There's a simple solution, but is cElementTree an
example of something that will show up in the
future? Any script that uses: from MythTV import MythDB
will fail.

--
Bill