[mythtv] Kernel CEC support?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 12:36:31 UTC 2020

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 13:08, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In asking the libcec maintainer on Fedora to support a branch in EPEL 8 for MythTV it was mentioned that libcec is "almost dead" and the kernel now has native CEC support.
>
> So, is that true?

Well - libcec is still actively maintained:-

https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/commits/master

Old libcec issue referencing kernel support:-

https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/issues/67

and commit/pull request that added kernel support to libcec:-

https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/pull/380

I suspect the 'almost dead' comment references the fact that projects
are looking to move to native support and avoid the extra dependency.

I worked on libcec for a short period some time ago - and while things
may have improved since that time, I suspect native support will have
significant issues - as noted by opdenkamp here
https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/issues/67#issuecomment-85449105

The reality is that CEC device support is variable and inconsistent (I
will never buy an LG television as a result). libcec tries hard to
manage all the different quirks and shield the user from the issues. I
just can't see how that would be handled in kernel code??

> And, can MythTV use the native kernel CEC?

Currently no. In the future - my gut feeling is that the way forward
is libcec using the native/kernel interface. That way we get the
benefits of both (device support from the kernel and a useful API from
libcec).

regards
Mark