[mythtv] Mythtv database indices

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Jul 14 21:48:36 UTC 2020

On 7/14/2020 5:07 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 7/14/20 1:37 PM, Thomas Lunde wrote:
>> Hi Peter -
>>
>> I'm not a Mythtv dev, but check in on the list from time to time and
>> your recent message below on adding an index to recordedartwork and
>> the resulting peformance change was really interesting.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there are other places that indices might be useful.
>> When someone starts our front end, there's a multi-second pause before
>> the frontend software notices the back end and then a very notable
>> pause (might be 15-60 seconds) before it starts enumerating the
>> available recordings and making them available for playback.  This
>> isn't the regular front end, though.
>>
>> My system might be a bit unusual, but I don't think that it's that far
>> out in left field.  I've been using Myth since about 2002 and now my
>> family very much relies on it.  One of the few areas that it draws
>> complaints from my wife and kids is the startup time for interaction.
>> Our backend lives on a linux container running Ubuntu 18.04 which sits
>> on top of a Proxmox system.  There's plenty of CPU cycles on this six
>> core system and plenty of RAM free.  The root for the container sits
>> on an SSD and there's a pair of 6 TB mirrored disks dedicated to
>> storing recordings.  In normal use, the system is only running at
>> single digit CPU usage and iostat doesn't show of bottlenecks.
>>
>> The frontends are AppleTV boxes running MrMC ( https://mrmc.tv/about/
>> ) which, I think, started life as a fork of XBMC / Kodi on Android.
>> It has a plugin for MythTV.  Here's the page for the Kodi version:
>> https://www.kodi.tv/addon/pvr-client/mythtv-pvr-client
>>
>> So, we navigate to the MrMC app on the AppleTV and launch it.  There's
>> that multi-second pause before it and the MythTV backend "notice each
>> other" which isn't likely to be helped by database indices.  After
>> they start "talking" I can observe each show that we've recorded be
>> named as it builds the available list of recordings to pick from.
>> After15-60 seconds, it knows enough about the shows to make the
>> Default recording group appear and have items be selectable.
>>
>> Anyway, this has gotten long and I know that there are a number of
>> potential pieces of software / integration points that would make this
>> hard to troubleshoot.  But, I'm hoping that your database fix might
>> help us.
>>
>> Please let me know if there's any way that I can help this along other
>> than cheering on your work.  :-)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Thomas
>>
>> Original message follows:
>>
>> [mythtv] Database version update
>>
>> Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
>> Wed Jul 1 19:35:15 UTC 2020

>> I plan to update the database version in master to 1363, to add an index
>> to recordedartwork.
>>
>> The /Dvr/GetRecordedList service takes 45 seconds on my prod system.
>> This change reduces it to 5 seconds. recordedartwork has no index and
> [...]

I have noticed that loading the "Watch Videos" window always takes longer on my remote frontends vs the frontend on the master backend. I think the behavior suggests the delay is not the database, rather the it's the time it takes to send information about ALL the videos across my LAN. It seems to me that implementing lazy loading would be the solution. I haven't looked at the code in this regard and don't know how difficult it would be to implement or if it would help either or both "Watch Videos" and "Watch Recordings".