[mythtv] OpenTV logical channel numbers

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jan 10 14:21:03 UTC 2020

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 00:08:54 +1100, you wrote:

>Stephen,
>
>I am one of the original authors and there is no doco other than other
>programs others wrote which we combined. Works for foxtelAU too but I
>have no use for it any more. Scaping is easier with webgrab++.
>
>I can give you commit/admin privs if you would like to
>contribute/publish your changes. Some love would be appreciated for the
>project.

The problem I have with committing changes is that mine are Sky NZ
specific, and I have no way to test for any of the other services to
see if I have broken anything for them.

>The sourceforge path is wrong because at the time we could not figure
>out how to rename it after we changed its name to tvgrabdvbplus.
>
>I originally tried to port the opentv epg grabber to myth but lost
>interest so it was never done.

It works fine externally to create XMLTV files, so in the past I did
not see any real benefit to making it part of the MythTV code.  But
the ability to get extra data for channel scanning such as the LCNs
is, however, very useful in making MythTV scanning more user friendly.
That could be done using external XMLTV data also, if the XMLTV
specification was updated to add LCN data and anything else that might
be useful.  When I added the LCN data to tv_grab_dvb_plus's output, I
found that there was no way to make it part of the official XMLTV
data, so I had to put it into an XML comment field.  That is useful
for humans when reading the XMLTV file, but not so good for automating
things in a standard way in programs like MythTV.

>As for doc I believe you can buy it from the opentv foundation (whatever
>its name is) with a suitable NDA. I never did this.

I think that costs $1000s so I am not likely to want to spend that
much.