[mythtv] use of src->mythtv/mythtv symbolic link

Hans Dingemans jpldingemans at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 16:12:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:04 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/14/20 12:57 PM, Hans Dingemans wrote:
> > I guess the -R is just a bad habit I now have to get rid of, thanks for
> the
> > tip & the script!
>
> I couldn't duplicate the double matches either. Even with -r. -R prints a
> warning message for mythtv/src, but still doesn't search src.
>
> Just another way:
>
> git grep excludes ignored files/directories (.gitignore) or un-added files.
> Note that after git add some_files, but before git commit, you must append
> --cached to search them.
>
> My favorite, but you don't have to create an alias:
>
>    git config --global alias.g "grep --files-with-matches
> --open-files-in-pager=vi"
>
> Then: git g <search_string> finds files containing search_string and starts
> the editor positioned at that string. Great if there aren't many matches,
> so I
> sometimes use git grep <search_string> 1st. From vi[m], :n goes to the next
> file and n searches for the same string.
>
> You can use --open-files-in-pager=less rather than vi if you like. You can
> also
> append directories to limit searches, e.g. ... programs libs.
>
> --
> Bill

Thanks all for the "workarounds" on my question on the "src" symbolic link,
but nobody seems to know why it is there.

Since I am the "get rid of the root cause" kind of guy, I looked into it,
and found it has to do with a few lines in the ./configure script. The
script seems to be a copy of the FFmpeg configure script, but they already
differ, so I thought it might cause no harm to further adapt it; I removed
a variable SRC_LINK that is never used, and the entire mechanism to fill
the value of this variable. Side effect is the unnecessary src recursive
directory is not created anymore; please see the patch attached.

As can be expected, myth still builds like before...

Hans.