[mythtv] Editor step forward by keyframe needs 2 keyclicks with nvdec in UK SD recordings

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:16:19 UTC 2020

On 18/02/2020 18:07, Mark Kendall wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> I'm working on a few improvements - just need to test them thoroughly!
>
> Regards
> Mark
>
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 11:46, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Editor step forward by keyframe needs 2 clicks with nvdec in  UK SD
>> mpeg2 recordings
>>
>> Mark:  Just FYI, looks like a result of commits on Feb 16.
>>
>> One keypress does a 'clear after seek', the next doesn't.
>>
>> ffmpeg decoding is as before.

Thanks for restoring the edit marker :-)

Minor observations:

'Standard' playback of SD DVB-T mpeg2video is fine but nearing the limit
of my 2.6 GHz core2duo with 2x CPU yadif.

nVdec with h264 is still giving decoding artefacts with static pictures,
and with mpeg2video the smaller steps in the editor are often not as
expected.  It looks as if the most recent commits are for vaapi.

On my later i3 box,  with an earlier Myth build and an nVidia GT 710
card (low-end but uses the current driver) I got noticeably better
playback of HD content using standard decoding.  It shows during
panning.  But that was with 4 cores at ~3 GHz.  I don't know what the
SoCs are doing...