[mythtv] Why do we reject previously shown dates before 1940

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 20:38:12 UTC 2020

On 12/6/20 9:45 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Anyone know why we explicitly reject previously shown dates before 1940?
>

> One example of doing this is here (there are several more instances
> like this one) :-
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/recordinginfo.cpp#L129
>

> There is also this forum post regarding this issue.
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4139
>

> Paul H.

 From git, this is where four 1940,1,1 checks were added -

commit d72eabf6f2dcb1e6d31747991d7eefb21323fb09
Author: Bruce Markey <bmarkey at mythtv.org>
Date:   Fri Mar 2 03:44:28 2007 +0000

     Fix bogus original air dates stuffed into the recorded table.

     Not all programs have original air dates. The absence of a
     date does not mean that this is the first date a program has
     ever been shown and a quarter of all television programs
     ever produced were not all premiered on New Years Eve '70.

     The hasAirDate flag will be set if the date is blank, null,
     year zero, before the history of television or whatever. This
     flag should always be checked before displaying or relying on
     the date stored in the originalairdate. If this flag is not
     set, the date is unknown and whatever garbage date exists in
     the field is meaningless.

Peter