[mythtv] Did I find a bug? netcat 6546

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Aug 22 20:51:46 UTC 2020

On 8/21/2020 12:12 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 8/20/20 5:10 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> I tried to "query location" on a frontend and got a timeout. When I went to check on the frontend, it was paused and displaying the "Playback Menu". Query location worked as expected when I returned to the "Watch Recordings" screen and when I was playing or paused on a recording. But when I pressed M/Menu while playing or paused, I could reproduce the timeout. Is this a bug?
>
> Can't say if it's a bug, but check the frontend log. The timeout
> can be avoided with something like this:
>
> $ echo "query location" | nc -i1 -q2 -w2 localhost 6546
> MythFrontend Network Control
> Type 'help' for usage information
>
> 2020-08-20 22:03:29.816381 W [7204/7204] CoreContext tv_play.cpp:4985 (ProcessNetworkControlCommand) - TV::ProcessNetworkControlCommand():
> Ignoring network control command because dialog is waiting for a response

Looking at that warning emitted by tv_play.cpp, it's clear it is just dropping the query on the floor whenever a dialog is active, like the menu. No response is ever going to be sent. Shouldn't it return something? Not just for "query Location" but for any other network control command that TV::ProcessNetworkControlCommand() is supposed to handle. It's good that a warning is logged, but it still seems like a bug to me. One of incomplete implementation. I'm sure it's been that way since forever, so clearly a low priority bug.