[mythtv] render2019 comments

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 06:55:24 UTC 2019

Thanks for the feedback John - comments below.

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 12:56, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I briefly tried current render2019 789dda6 with Fedora29 x86_64 nvidia
> GT_710 430.40, but have gone back to master.
>
> Primary reason is that mythcommflag --rebuild and mythpreviewgen both
> 'Failed to initialise VAAPI connection' and quit.  My cutting script
> uses these.

OK  - there are a couple of static hardware decoder checks at startup
(VDPAU, VAAPI, NVDEC) that need to be cleaned up when either running
headless or without a GUI. They'll be fixed in the next few days.

> Also panning shots in 1080p DVB-T2 recordings are as seen through jelly,
> worse than in master.  DLNA does it best (although subtitle sync seems
> broken there).  But I didn't try much fine-tuning.

I'm pretty certain that you will be using software decoding as the
decoder/renderer selection has changed in the video display profile
settings screen. For example there is no longer a VDPAU renderer - it
just uses opengl (the renderer selection should show opengl-hw).
Without explicitly setting them to something new you will probably get
software decode - and hence performance will be poor? (not sure what
CPU you have)

I'm assuming there is nothing special about those recordings? (Do you
have a 60 second sample?) Otherwise some -v playback logs would be
informative.

Thanks again and regards,
Mark