[mythtv] render2019: step-length oddities in video editing

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 09:11:57 UTC 2019

On 07/10/2019 09:28, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 19:10, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mark, thanks for the response:  I have just looked at the step
>> lengths in the editor in last night's ppa build of master for ubuntu
>> 18.04, and the 1-frame, 0.5-sec, 1-sec steps that are broken in render
>> 2019 all work as expected, although 1-sec is a bit elastic.
>>
>> The blurriness in static frames in render 2019 is probably a mix of info
>> from several frames and doesn't really affect editing, but it is
>> different.  Normal playback seems fine.
>
> John
>
> I've pushed a fix for a regression in seeking that seems to fix the
> worst of the seeking issues. Editing seems fine here with software
> decode and VAAPI direct rendering. VAAPI decode only still gives some
> odd seeks for reasons I don't understand. Deinterlacing seems to be
> working OK and I can't see/reproduce the blurriness that you mention.
> Can you give me details of your decoder/deinterlacer settings?
>
> Apart from the VAAPI decode only anomaly, there is a slight oddity
> with 1 second seeking in a PAL recording where it seeks 24 frames
> instead of 25. I suspect this is a master issue as well (mythplayer
> actually asks to seek 24 frames). NTSC recording (imported) always
> seeks 30.
>
> Frame by frame seeking in videos (i.e. no seektable) still has issues
> when going backwards - again not sure why:)
>
> regards
> Mark

OK, thanks, I should have a build later.  The bad decoding of static
pictures has been most noticeable in 544x576 h264 content as from DVB-T
Smithsonian (99) and PBS America (91), using nvdec and 2xGLSL
linearblend.  I've also had segfaults while doing the tests, but haven't
investigated those.

John