[mythtv] render2019 comments

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 17:18:08 UTC 2019

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 07:51, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> The grey-out, as implemented now in 2019-render with commit "4fe3b:
> Settings: Update standard theme to 'gray out' disabled settings" does
> break mythtv-setup page "Capture Card / Card type". Here I apparently
> use this attribute to skip the field 'Frontend ID' and that is now
> grey. This field should not be grey because it is relevant to the
> page; the field is skipped with editing becausee it shows content that
> cannot  be edited.
> Maybe we do need a separate function to set the grey/not-grey state of
> a field? Or should I do something different for the "Frontend ID"
> field?

Klaas,

Looking at that setup page and the code - it looks like the Frontend
ID is informative (i.e. it helps the user identify what /dev/dvb/xxx
actually is - in the case where there are multiple cards) and it is
not stored in the database. So it is essentially not a setting - but
the settings ui does not currently have the ability to show something
that isn't a setting.

I would suggest either extending standard settings to have a
'ReadOnly' state - though not sure how much code that would require -
or alternatively, on that setup page, append the Frontend ID to the
device/adapter selection. So instead of DVB device showing (in my
case) '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' it would read
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 (ST STV0299 DVB-S) - which I think would
require only a slight modification to the code. The one obvious
problem is that string is quite long...

Thoughts?

Regards, Mark