[mythtv] Services API for ChannelServices / Video Source

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 15:30:42 UTC 2019

On 01/11/2019 14:56, David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 11:15:57AM +0000, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>> On 31/10/2019 21:42, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> I have committed support for the bouquet ID and the region ID in the
>>> services API  but not yet tested anything. I followed what was done
>>> for the dvb_nit_id and I think the C++ code is correct and complete. I
>>> made some changes to the Javascript code but I am not sure what else
>>> needs to be done there or what needs to be done in other non-C++ parts
>>> of the code. I do appreciate it very much if you would have a look at
>>> it.
>>>
>>> For the people who read this and feel tempted to play with this, the
>>> code does need the fields bouquet_id and region_id and one way to test
>>> it is to add these fields manually to database table videosource; SQL
>>> commands given in dbcheck.cpp. Changing the schema version to 1351 in
>>> mythversion.h does this and also activates the mythtv-setup gui for
>>> these fields but this should only be done on a discardable database.
>>>

>>> Groetjes,
>>> Klaas.
>> Just for information.
>>
>> I quickly tested current Kodi (Leia 18.4) with kodi-pvr-mythtv addon
>> (5.10.13) with the updated database (1351) and Services API everything still
>> works,
> That's not surprising.  I don't believe Kodi supports adding or
> editing anything in that area of MythTV.  Rather, it's probably left
> for the user to configure sort of stuff in MythTV directly.
>
>> Normally with a Services API/schema change I would expect an update to
>> MYTH_PROTO_VERSION (currently 91) and MYTH_PROTO_TOKEN (currently BuzzOff).
>>
>> Updating these means a change to kodi-pvr-mythtv addon (it uses
>> MYTH_PROTO_VERSION to decide how to process Services API calls).
> The database schema, protocol and services API are closely related and
> a change in one area often ripples into the others but that doesn't
> always have to be the case.
>
> David

Yes, Kodi generally assumes that user has already setup MythTV, there
are some exceptions, for example, kodi-pvr-mythtv allows Recording
schedules (called Timers in Kodi) to be manipulated (delete, add,
modify) via POST Service API calls.

The handling of Recording schedules in kodi-pvr-mythtv does not have the
same flexibility as a MythTV frontend or mythweb.

Mike