[mythtv] HD Video frame drops with Android Frontend on Fire Stick

OpenMedia Support support at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Jun 26 23:00:41 UTC 2019

>> On 6/24/19 5:14 AM, OpenMedia Support wrote:
>>> Currently running with -
>>> mythfrontend-20190414-arm-v30.0-43-g5a67176bf90.apk
>>>
>>> Hardware - Fire TV Gen 3 Pendant version.
>>>
>>> I've followed the setup guide under
>>>   -https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android#Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick_4K
>>>
>>> This option isn't present in this build
>>>   -  Advanced Playback Settings -> Allow YV12
>>>
>>> I've tried this option on and off and I still get a lot of frame drops
>>>   -  Advanced Playback Settings -> Extra stage
>>>
>>> I've also tried with/without the de-blocking filter and it doesn't make
>>> different.
>>>
>>> To reproduce the issue set the playback profile as per the guide above
>>> and
>>> then via the setup wizard try to play "Test High Definition"
>>>
>>> Let me know if there is any more debug information I can provide.
>>>
>> If you use a fire stick (non-4K) you will have a lot of dropped frames.
>> That is a known issue that will be addressed when we get to direct
>> rendering (That is being worked on by Mark Kendall, see 2019-render
>> branch).
>
> Just to clarify - I'm testing with the Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD and Alexa
> Voice Remote,
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV#Third_generation
>
> This is a slightly earlier model to the current Fire TV Stick 4K
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV#Fire_TV_Stick_4K
>
> I actually have both of these devices and they are running exactly the
> same firmware. From an overall hardware specs perspective I was hoping
> that the Android build would behave the same on both units.

Just re-testing with the latest build -
mythfrontend-20190625-arm-v30.0-60-gb9c1b41a6c0.apk

I'm also getting these frame drop errors on the Test Standard Definition
sample.

06-26 17:52:31.690  3074  3410 I MediaCodecLogger:
org.mythtv.mythfrontend.HW.video.avc Dropping frame

If  I change my playback profile to OpenGL Normal the Standard and Hi Def
samples play without issue, but other 720p and 1080 videos still produce
the Dropping frame errors.