[mythtv] HD Video frame drops with Android Frontend on Fire Stick

OpenMedia Support support at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Jun 24 23:49:03 UTC 2019

> On 6/24/19 5:14 AM, OpenMedia Support wrote:
>> Currently running with -
>> mythfrontend-20190414-arm-v30.0-43-g5a67176bf90.apk
>>
>> Hardware - Fire TV Gen 3 Pendant version.
>>
>> I've followed the setup guide under
>>   -https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android#Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick_4K
>>
>> This option isn't present in this build
>>   -  Advanced Playback Settings -> Allow YV12
>>
>> I've tried this option on and off and I still get a lot of frame drops
>>   -  Advanced Playback Settings -> Extra stage
>>
>> I've also tried with/without the de-blocking filter and it doesn't make
>> different.
>>
>> To reproduce the issue set the playback profile as per the guide above
>> and
>> then via the setup wizard try to play "Test High Definition"
>>
>> Let me know if there is any more debug information I can provide.
>>
> If you use a fire stick (non-4K) you will have a lot of dropped frames.
> That is a known issue that will be addressed when we get to direct
> rendering (That is being worked on by Mark Kendall, see 2019-render
> branch).

Just to clarify - I'm testing with the Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD and Alexa
Voice Remote,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV#Third_generation

This is a slightly earlier model to the current Fire TV Stick 4K

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV#Fire_TV_Stick_4K

I actually have both of these devices and they are running exactly the
same firmware. From an overall hardware specs perspective I was hoping
that the Android build would behave the same on both units.

Steven