[mythtv] Channel Management Ideas and Plans

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jan 28 03:09:03 UTC 2019

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 15:09:39 -0600, you wrote:

[snip]

An additional complication that you may not have thought about - when
a channel changes its identity (station name, callsign, icon),
obviously the recording rules for that callsign need to be updated
also.  But if you are using "power" recording rules, there will often
be SQL stored in the recording rule that will contain a reference to
the callsign and/or the chanid.  It would be good if those rules could
at least be flagged for manual fixing, even if an automated fix was
not possible.

In this part of the world, channels are assigned XMLTV IDs by the EPG
grabbing software that creates the xmltv data.  Those names are
normally made from the channel name found when scanning for channels.
When the station identity changes, those names also need to be changed
if you are trying to keep things consistent.

Here are the current XMLTV IDs I am using for our free-to-air
channels:

tv1.freeviewnz.tv
tv2.freeviewnz.tv
tv3.freeviewnz.tv
bravo.freeviewnz.tv
maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv
tv1-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
tv2-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
tv3-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
bravo-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
duke.freeviewnz.tv
edge-tv.freeviewnz.tv
prime.freeviewnz.tv
choice.freeviewnz.tv
hgtv.freeviewnz.tv
parliament.freeviewnz.tv
hope-channel.freeviewnz.tv
aljazeera.freeviewnz.tv
te-reo.freeviewnz.tv
firstlight.freeviewnz.tv
tvsn-shopping-channel.freeviewnz.tv
chinese-tv8.freeviewnz.tv
tv29.freeviewnz.tv
tv33.freeviewnz.tv
apna.freeviewnz.tv
rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv
rnz-concert.freeviewnz.tv
basefm.freeviewnz.tv
threelife.freeviewnz.tv

and here are a few channels from our pay-TV satellite provider:

cnbc.sky.co.nz
cnn.sky.co.nz
comedy-central.sky.co.nz
concert-fm.radio.sky.co.nz
country.music.sky.co.nz
countrytv.sky.co.nz
crime-investigation.sky.co.nz

Another way I have thought about for keeping old channel data
available is to simply create an "oldchannel" table.  No longer
available channels would be moved from "channel" to "oldchannel".
Occasionally, housekeeping could be done to scan the recordings tables
and check if there are any channels in "oldchannel" that no longer
have matching recordings, and then delete those channels from
"oldchannel".  That could be done by an external script, as is done
with find_orphans.py.  Or it could be added to find_orphans.py.  Using
an oldchannel table greatly reduces the redundant data that might
otherwise need to be stored in the "recorded" table and allows all of
the old data for a channel to be kept.  But it complicates the use of
chanid values as they are now a primary key on two tables and need to
be unique over both tables.