[mythtv] Question about new build requirements for NVDEC

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:49:12 UTC 2019

On 1/17/19 4:10 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-01-16 at 14:41 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 1/16/19 2:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> could
>>> For a one-time add, possibly the nv-codec-headers deb file from
>>> deb-multimedia?  Since they are only headers (and config), there
>>> is some hope they might install and be usable in stretch and
>>> supported ubuntu variants even though deb-multimedia only has
>>> them formally available for sid/buster.
>>>
>> Thanks for the info. I did not realize it was there.
> In Debian there is:
>     $ apt-file search dynlink_cuda.h
>     nvidia-cuda-dev: /usr/include/dynlink_cuda.h
>     $ apt policy nvidia-cuda-dev
>     nvidia-cuda-dev:
>       Installed: (none)
>       Candidate: 9.1.85-8
>       Version table:
>          9.2.148-5 500
>             500 http://mirror/debian sid/non-free amd64 Packages
>          9.1.85-8 990
>             990 http://mirror/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
>          8.0.44-4 500
>             500 http://mirror/debian stretch/non-free amd64 Packages
>
>     However:
>     $ apt show nvidia-cuda-dev | grep Section
>     Section: non-free/libdevel
>
>     So it is in non-free[0] (so not strictly part of Debian). It's possible
>     that in Ubuntu it is also in whatever their non-free equivalent is?
>
>     I think mythtv already requires other deps from non-free, so possibly
>     using those is not a big deal.
>
>     Ian.
>
> [0] Reasons in
> https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/n/nvidia-cuda-toolkit/nvidia-cuda-toolkit_9.2.148-5_copyright

I checked and found that although nvidia-cuda-dev and
nvidia-cuda-toolkit include the dynlink header files, they are very
different from the ones FFmpeg uses, and FFmpeg has an extra header file.

At this stage I think it is best to add these to a directory in our
MythTV repository and work on getting it to build without needing root
access.

Peter