[mythtv] Question about new build requirements for NVDEC

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:41:31 UTC 2019

On 1/16/19 2:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I could not find any Ubuntu package that contains these files that could
>> be added as a dependency.
> For a one-time add, possibly the nv-codec-headers deb file from
> deb-multimedia?  Since they are only headers (and config), there
> is some hope they might install and be usable in stretch and
> supported ubuntu variants even though deb-multimedia only has
> them formally available for sid/buster.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the info. I did not realize it was there.

For a one time add, it is easy. I simply ran the sudo make install.

For future builders including end users and package builders, requiring
a package from deb-multimedia may be a problem? I imagine Ubuntu would
not accept a package that required a package from deb-multimedia as a
dependency for building. Ubuntu must have a solution for when they build
FFmpeg and if I am feeling very enthusiastic I may take a look at the
Ubuntu FFmpeg package.

On the other hand, we carry our own copy of FFmpeg in the MythTV
repository, so it may make sense that we should carry a copy of this as
well, since it is really a part of FFmpeg.

Peter