[mythtv] Mediacodec playback of mpeg2 on fire stick 4k

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:35:50 UTC 2019

Hi Aman

There is still the ongoing issue with decoding mpeg2 using mediacodec
through ffmpeg. The process hangs, and never gets any frames back.

As a separate project i have developed a pure android mythtv frontend
player, using java and the exoplayer library. It is working well and I
am surprised to find that it plays mpeg2 perfectly and also deinterlaces
it. Exoplayer uses pure mediacodec, there is no software video decoding.

Whatever the problem is with mediacodec and fire stick 4K, evidently
there must be a way around it.

If you need any more information please contact me.

Regards
Peter