[mythtv] Merging the 'render' branch

Andreas Mayer and.mayer at aon.at
Mon Dec 2 21:28:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have tried to run some basic tests for devel/2019-render on two
systems ...
On both systems I'm using DVB-S2 cards with Astra 19.2E channels (SD
mpeg2 544x576, 720x576, HD H264 1280x720 German FTA, Astra UHD demo
channel HEVC Main10 3840x2160).

First I had to change libs/libmythbase/mythversion.h: #define
MYTH_DATABASE_VERSION "1357" to "1358", otherwise BE/FE would not start
because schema version would be newer than expected after the schema
updates.

On the first system (my office PC, Intel Skylake, HD 530, additional
Nvidia GT1030 card with HDMI 2.0 output, OpenSuSE Tumbleweed, 1920x1080
monitor):
     When using the Intel graphics using playback profile "VAAPI normal"
SD and HD LiveTV works fine but UHD stutters (this is to be expected
because only HEVC Main profile is supported by HD 530).
     When using the NVidia graphics card (driver version 430.26 first,
now 440.31) with playback profile "NVDEC Standard":
         SD LiveTV and UHD Live LiveTV works fine but channel change to
HD channels and sometimes to UHD channel results in
         SEGV in cuda_buffer_free (backtrace something like ...
mythfrontend.TVMenuCallback -> mythfrontend.startTVNormal -> libmythtv.* ->
         libmythavutil.buffer_replace, buffer_pool_free,
cuda_buffer_free, will provide more details as soon as possible)

On the second system (living room, Intel Coffee Lake, UHD 630, HDMI 1.4
output - limits output to 30Hz at 3840x2160 - connected to UHD TV, OpenSuSE
Leap 42.3 with updates for vaapi, minimal X server without display
manager, playback profile "VAAPI normal"):
     LiveTV on SD, HD and UHD channels (oncluding channel switch) works
fine, but I'm not able to >30Hz on this system.
     In the end I would like to install the NVidia GT1030 card on this
system to get full UHD support.

Until now I was not able to run mythfronend without X (eglfs) on both
systems using the Intel graphics (did not even try NVidia), but
currently the SEGV for channel switching with the NVidia GT1030 is the
bigger problem for me ...

Br,
Andreas