[mythtv] Channel Management Ideas and Plans

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 17:26:43 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:42 PM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:13 PM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > - Access the icon via lookup on callsign and/or name.

And so one does not think I am just pointing
to issues, here is what I think would work
(with zero actual implementation) if one
wanted to keep things "mostly" complete,
but with a LOT more work in the code to
implement (and there is also, as I understand
it, a project concern on not doing things
like using database blobs, so I guess one
could do the same thing by using the file
system lookups if one wanted, but additional
safeguards regarding file system unavailability
would need to be added).

New DB table (ICONBLOB), with column
ICONUUID (unique index) a column ICON
which is a blob of the icon itself.

Anytime a new logo is downloaded or
assigned to a channel, it gets a new
ICONBLOB row (random ICONUUID
assigned) and the channel is assigned
the new ICONUUID.  So every channel
has the current ICONUUID.

(old?)Recorded point to the ICONUUID
at the time of the recording.

Any lookups/retrievals would use the
ICONUUID value into the ICONBLOB
table to retrieve the icon itself.

A background db cleanup of the form:

delete from ICONBLOB where UUID
  not in (select ICONUUID from channel
            UNION
             select ICONUUID from recorded)

Yes, it is (probably? absolutely?) overkill.
 But it has a certain elegance that is
appealing in the abstract.  Especially
for someone not actually doing the
code (which I am not)  It is always easy
spending OPM and OPT.