[mythtv] Audio distortion issue on Nvidia Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:45:19 UTC 2018

I tried the latest build on my surround system and Dolby Digital works
fine. I am running version 7.0.2 of the shield experience.

On 09/18/2018 11:45 PM, Michael wrote:
> My basic configuration is the shield is plugged into a yamaha receiver
> and the receiver then drives the TV.  Speaker config is 5.1
>

> Under the shield settings for video/audio advanced:
>
> Surround auto
I found before that I had to set Surround to "Always" for it to work.
However Surround "Auto" now works for me, but I prefer to leave it as
"Always".

> stereo upmix off
>
> fixed volume yes
>

> In MythTV:
>
> Dolby Digital yes
>
> DTS yes
>
> EAC3, TrueHD, and DTS HD are not selectable and I can't even move to
> them - not sure why as my receiver supports all three
>

> Speaker config is 5.1
>
> Upconvert stereo to 5.1 is yes, but I tried both ways
Preferably disable this.

> Use internal controls no
>

> Even going into the test audio section can generate the crackle noise.
>
> Oddly, When just testing a single speaker like the left front, the
> loud crackle seems to come from the center speaker.   It doesn't
> matter which speaker is tested, the large crackle comes from the
> center ( I believe ).    If I test all, I get the loud crackle and
> then it proceeds around the other speakers without issue.
>

> Oddly, this configuration was all working fine until a week ago or so
> and the only change I can think of was the Shield update.

Which update was this? I just received notification today of 7.1 update
but I did not apply it yet. I am still on 7.0.2.

I did find that setting fixed volume off on teh shield prduces the
crackle if I adjust volume, so I always leave it as fixed volume.

My setup is shield to TV, and TV digital out to receiver. My receiver
does not support hdmi, but tjhe audio gets passed through to the optical
output. The receiver confirms via display that it is decoding Dolby Digital.

Peter