[mythtv] Audio distortion issue on Nvidia Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:42:22 UTC 2018

On 09/17/2018 07:35 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>

> I have been running your various android packages on my Shield for a
> few months with great success.
>

> However, in the last week or so, there has been an audio distortion
> issue creep up.  I *believe* it started after the Shield 7.1 upgrade,
> but I am not positive.    Both before and after the upgrade, I was
> running 20180814-arm64-v30-Pre-714-gc2621a984b7 so no changes there.
>

> What I am seeing:  When audio starts playing, it is completely
> distorted - almost a rapid crackling sound.  It happens about 75% of
> the time at the start of videos or after fast forward or commercial
> skip.    If I just skip backwards a few seconds, it clears up.
>

> I tried upgrading to 20180915-arm64-v30-Pre-775-gf30e50bfd0a today in
> hopes that it would solve the issue, but it didn't make any difference.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> Michael

Check the MythTV Frontend settings for audio "digital capabilities". Do
you have any of those selected? Also check if you have the correct
number of speakers selected, because MythTV will convert the audio to
match your number of speakers if necessary. Check the upconvert setting.
I have found that setting does not work well so it is better to disable
it. Do you have a surround sound system attached? Also check the Shield
settings under display and audio, advanced. Do you have surround sound
selected (always never or auto).

Peter