[mythtv] 50fps video playback on 30Hz display (4K on HDMI 1.4 output)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:51:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:17 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked in the developer's irc about adding CUDA/NVDEV support to MythTV
> and the response was not enthusiastic so I put it on the back burner.
> People said they want their VDPAU.

I think one issue is NVDEC does not support older nVidia GPUs
(kepler and newer required) in addition to only supporting the
proprietary driver.  It is also the only (documented as supported)
solution for some next-gen nVidia GPUs (VDPAU has been on
life support in Linux for a while now with nVidia stating at some
point it will stop working with their newer drivers/GPUs and to
get your act together and support NVDEC (which projects such
as FFMpeg did) [nvidia stated it nicer, but that was the essence]).

No need today, but need tomorrow (and likely today for anyone
sporting a RTX2xxx GPU).