[mythtv] OpenGL, Android and Fire Stick

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Wed Oct 10 23:08:23 UTC 2018

On 11/10/18 07:11, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 10/08/2018 11:12 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> This is a S905 I seem to remember.
>>> yv12 should be better because it has less data per frame! WTF
>>> Fat green line could be 1088 lines or upscale for a lower res. Green
>>> is 0 data and beyond the frame range.
>>> This resolution issue is very wierd. Normally this is yuvu or yuv2.
>>> not sure it uyvu is a typo.
>> The code has a macro called MYTHTV_UYVY and a field called uyvy. It
>> is related to definition "AV_PIX_FMT_UYVY422 packed YUV 4:2:2, 16bpp,
>> Cb Y0 Cr Y1" in ffmpeg

>>> I think the implementation of GL/accel HW is not to standard. Not a
>>> GLES issue per se.

>>> See my greenline patches from a while back. I still run with them
>>> and it fixes the green lines on my shield and h96 pro (S912). I can
>>> resend i that helps. May not fix the thick green line though.
>>>
>> Is that the patch
>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13230/20180402-yuv-greenline-interlaced.patch
>> ? I will look at at that also and see if it fits in with what I do.
>>> There may also be a scaling issue with sone GL implementations in
>>> that the iterate over lines/pixels 0..N instead of 0..N-1 and this
>>> causes the green lines bottom and right.
>>>
>>> The other critical patch may be the float resolution. I changed this
>>> from medium to high and that fixed quite a few issues too. Give that
>>> a try. From my reading, float res is not specified, some
>>> hardware/impl is better than others for mediump and lowp.
>>>
>>> libmythui/mythrender_opengl2es.h
>>> change "precision mediump float" to "precision highp float"
>>>
>>> I also think the deinterlace gets the line ordering for fields wrong
>>> too. This may be an amlogic specific issue.
>>>
>> Thanks - I will try these and see how they work on the fire tv. There
>> may be differences in level of support, so it may be helpful to add
>> settings to select different ways of doing things. For example the
>> precision highp may not be supported in all cases. The settings may
>> be a bit opaque to users but we can document in the wiki the best
>> combinations to use for different situations.
>>
>> Peter
>

> This is the unhelpful result of using highp:
> I/mfe     (19351): 2018-10-10 14:03:42.789211 E  0:2: P0004: High
> precision not supported, instead compiling high precision as medium
> precision
>
> My issue seems to be with this opengl es code:
>
> void main(void)
> {
>     vec4 yuva    = texture2D(s_texture0, v_texcoord0);
>     if (fract(v_texcoord0.x * 1024.00000000) < 0.5)
>         yuva = yuva.rabg;
>     gl_FragColor = vec4(yuva.arb, 1.0) * m_colourMatrix;
> }
>
> The shader uses a different formula for even and odd numbered pixels
> because two pixels' color information is packed into 1 byte.
> The fragment shader gets the pixel location (texcoord0.x) as a float
> between 0 and 1. It seems to not have enough precision to cater for
> [...]
Peter,

There are minimum resolutions defined in the GL/GLES standard for
low,medium and high when I looked at them. Some medium implementations
were better than others.

see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4414041/what-is-the-precision-of-highp-floats-in-glsl-es-2-0-for-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad.
and http://www.khronos.org/files/opengles_shading_language.pdf section 4.5.2

GLES2 defines float and int min low 8 bits, medium 10 bits (our
problem), high optional and min 16 bits.
This restricts the iterator v_texcoord0 to 10 bits since high does not
work (optional not supported) and this is inadequate for FHD+.

Looks like this device implementation is adhering to the minimum
standards for resolution. And since high does not work, this hardware
should be designated as too old to work at FHD res.

Even converting this to integers the precision is still probably the
same so you don't gain anything. The only thing you could do is split
the textures in 2 (or more) with a base x,y vec, but that will get
cumbersome fast.

Calls to the glGetShaderPrecisionFormat() for all 3 will show the
constraints of the system.
May be a good check to determine minimum GL support for various
resolutions of framebuffers/tvs.

I would suggest bin (trash) it. Too many cheap more powerful devices on
the market.

HTH
Mark