[mythtv] Decision on FFmpeg repository

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Fri May 18 07:33:47 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-18 at 08:30 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 15:05 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > 3. A commit hash may no longer identify what source code was used for
> > a build, because you cannot tell if they remembered to update the
> > submodule. I suppose we need to add a submodule hash to the version
> > string.
>
> IIRC the commit of the submodule is committed to the main repo (in
> .gitmodules or some such) and `git status` et al will show the repo as
> dirty if the submodule is either dirty or not at the named revision.

It turns out IRinC(orrectly), in qemu.git/.gitmodules I see:
   [submodule "roms/vgabios"]
           path = roms/vgabios
           url = git://git.qemu-project.org/vgabios.git/
   [submodule "roms/seabios"]
           path = roms/seabios
           url = git://git.qemu-project.org/seabios.git/

So it seems the precise commit is not stored there. The
gitsubmodules(7) and gitmodules(5) manpages do not mention another
field which might be used to store the commit either.

I stand corrected.

Ian.