[mythtv] Decision on FFmpeg repository

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Fri May 18 07:30:53 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 15:05 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> 3. A commit hash may no longer identify what source code was used for
> a build, because you cannot tell if they remembered to update the
> submodule. I suppose we need to add a submodule hash to the version
> string.

IIRC the commit of the submodule is committed to the main repo (in
.gitmodules or some such) and `git status` et al will show the repo as
dirty if the submodule is either dirty or not at the named revision.

The QEMU project uses submodules for various things so it might be
worth having a look at how they deal with it.

In the (dim and distant) past I have had a problem where my QEMU tree
was shown as dirty due to submodules and I couldn't for the life of me
reset it to be clean (and I am not a git neophyte) and resorted to
blowing away and recloning the tree. I suspect that was a bug in a long
gone version of git though rather than a fundamental flaw.