[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 15 20:16:34 UTC 2018

On 03/15/2018 02:47 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Thank you Mike for your detailed response. This is very helpful.
>

> On 03/15/2018 08:10 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> However, I think mapping a key that's already mapped to a Global
>> action to an action in another context will result in a warning every
>> time you start up mythfrontend.  See
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/629db590 and test by looking
>> for:
>>
>> QString("Key %1 is bound to multiple actions in context
>> %2.").arg(key).arg(context));
>> (from MythMainWindow::BindKey() )
>>
>> in your mythfrontend log. I'm OK with the warning showing up for
>> existing users who "inherit" the SELECT key list for SET_ or
>> TOGGLE_BOOKMARK, but it's quite likely you may get a lot of
>> discussion/confusion on the lists because of the warning just showing
>> up after a user upgrades to the new version which no longer uses
>> SELECT for the bookmark actions.
>>
> I checked this, and with a mapping of space, enter, return in both
> global select and playback bookmark, I do not get this warning. It
> seems to only output the warning if the same key is assigned to two
> actions in playback.

OK.  I couldn't remember if the warning would be emitted if you mapped a
key in a specific context that was already mapped in Global.  It seems
it doesn't, and that's probably good.

> Normally the key mappings do not let you do that, but I am able to map
> left and right to ZOOMIN and ZOOMOUT as well as to SEEKFFWD and
> SEEKRWND. This is valid since zoom is a separate mode and is allowed
> by the key mappings. This gives the above warning. So I think I do not
> have to worry about the warning.
>
> I will change the approach to what you have suggested.
>
> There will likely be some complaints. You can please some of the
> people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the
> time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Exactly.  And progress requires making changes.  I'll try to help with
explanations and directions for getting the desired behavior when we
start getting questions to the list.  Since you're doing the hard work
of changing the code, it's the least I could do.  :)

Thanks, again.

Mike