[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 23:40:08 UTC 2018

On 03/14/2018 06:25 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> 1) I DO use the enter key to set bookmarks all the time.
>
> 2) If you want to poll the user community w.r.t how popular the
> current behavior is, it is not sufficient to poll the developer
> community, i.e. this list mythtv-dev. You really need to poll the user
> community, e.g. the mythtv-users list and the forum.
>
> 3) I think it is bad policy to change the default behavior for
> functionality that has worked this way since I'm guessing forever. I
> know it has worked this way since at least 2009 when I first became a
> user. I quite understand why the current behavior is a problem for
> you, but please don't break it for all of us who are happy with the
> way it works now. By all means create a new key mapping for bookmarks,
> but make sure the default is to map it to the same keys used by the
> select key mapping. I understand it could generate some warnings in
> the log file, but better that than breaking what many users consider a
> feature.

Hi Helen

Thanks for responding. I did not get a lot of responses on this and I
agree with your points. I do not want to change things people are used
to - but I wonder how to eventually make a change. Any suggestions would
be welcome.

If I did make the change as I had suggested, you and others would still
be able to go to the key mappings and change it back to the way you like it.

For now, I am going to map bookmark to the existing select keys plus
Ctrl+K. People will have the option of remapping the enter key to
something else, or mapping other keys to bookmark.

Peter