[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:17:27 UTC 2018

On 03/13/2018 01:44 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> During playback, the select key assigned in global key mapping is used for setting and removing bookmarks.
>
> To allow users to set a different key for bookmarks without having to change global select, I have create a new key mapping for bookmarks. I can
> default this to the same keys as SELECT (i.e. space, enter, return) and it should not affect anybody unless they have changed their global
> select settings. (see https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13234/20180313_1414_bookmark.patch). It is not committed yet.
>
> Personally I never set a bookmark and the fact that it is on the most prominent keyboard keys seems inappropriate.
>
> On the Nvidia Shield there is only one button (enter), and it should do something useful that leads to other interactions, rather than set a
> bookmark. Other remotes also have a prominent enter button, which should be used for something more important.
>
> I propose defaulting the new BOOKMARK setting to Ctrl+K (since K is "jump to bookmark"). I would default Space to pause(which is how most
> players work), and Enter to a new navigation OSD that I plan to develop.
>
> Existing frontends would find that space enter and return would no longer invoke bookmark. They could still assign those keys to bookmark in the
> key mappings.
>
> I expect that bookmarks are not widely used and that most people would not be upset at this.
>
> If necessary the code could apply different defaults for Android so as to have less impact on existing users, but I think it is better if
> possible to keep the different platforms working the same.
>
> Please let me have feedback on this.

Peter,

Just FYI, of my 265 recordings, 51 have bookmark = 1. I wouldn't have
any problem using ^K or remapping if required. I believe that MythMote
users would need to remap and perhaps other 3rd party clients (if the
proposed ^K default is used.) MythMote uses NetworkControlPort (6546.)
Others use Frontend/SendAction and/or Frontend/SendKey.

--
Bill