[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 15:42:39 UTC 2018

On 06/28/2018 05:34 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 06/28/2018 02:03 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 06/28/2018 04:21 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> I haven't actually watched any TV since the upgrade last night.
>>>
>>> I just did the upgrade and then noticed when mythtv started it was
>>> much faster.   Then I played with that for like 10 minutes
>>> starting/stopping/rebooting and then I went to bed.
>>>
>>> I will watch some TV tonight and I can give you more feedback.
>>>
>>> I had moved back to the opengl selection because my wife was having
>>> issues with the fast forwarding/commercial skip.   Not just that is
>>> was slower, but she wasn't getting consistent jumps to the right
>>> time/place.   I was hoping to spend more time investigating this too
>>> and hopefully providing you a better report.
>>>
>> I know about this - The elapsed time if you look at it is going at
>> double speed, which messes up the jumps. For example after you have
>> watched for 5 minutes the elapsed time shows 10 minutes, Then if you
>> jump forward 1 minute it jumps to the real 11 minutes, but you are
>> actually still at 5 minutes so it is jumping forward 6 minutes
>> instead of 1. I have fixed that with the latest patch. Let me know if
>> you want a new package. Also the jump delays are fixed. Just FF and
>> REW may still have issues now.
>

> Sure, I would be happy to test a new package.   What you are
> describing is exactly what I was seeing, but I hadn't processed what I
> was seeing.   I have been watching the other thread you have in the
> devel list as well.
>

> On the Shield, is there any way to upgrade the package?  Last time, it
> just said mythtv was already installed and wouldn't install.   I had
> to remove it and install the new one.   Then I set up the custom
> identifier to match the old, but it still seemed like some settings
> were lost.
>
> Michael

Here is a new package. Jumps and timing with mediacodec are fixed. Let
me know if you are able to watch 1080i with Mediacodec on Oreo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z39i1yg6fcc0it7/mythfrontend-20180628-arm64-v30-Pre-663-g7758f60ba6e-dirty.apk?dl=0

I install with adb. It allows installing the package if it is the same
or higher version than before, only complaining if you try to install an
older version. What method of installing do you use?

Note that you do not need to set up a custom identifier, the default it
uses is obtained from android, for example, android-5bf9d1d3ec61f8e2,
which will be the same for that same shield every time you install. Of
course if you switch from a custom id to the default you will have to do
your settings again the first time.

AFAIK the only settings that will be lost if you uninstall and
reinstall, and use the same custom id or the default, will be the
downloaded theme. It will revert to the default them and your selected
theme will need to be downloaded again.

Peter