[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jun 19 21:11:14 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:23:21AM -0700, BP wrote:
> On 06/18/2018 09:50 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >

> > On 06/18/2018 12:21 PM, Michael wrote:
>

> > I have plans to look into what happens when MythTV goes into the
> > background or the Shield goes to sleep. For now it is best to exit
> > MythTV before that happens.
> >
> > If the frontend just exits it is likely crashing. If you create a ticket
> > we can look into it.
> >
> > I do not think Alt-F4 will cause it to exit. Is there a jump point for
> > exit? There probably should be one.
> >

> For me, any period of inactivity leaves the app in a hung, non-responsive
> state.  I have to kill it.
>
> Some other feedback:
> 1)  I know this is a work in progress, so updating documentation is the
> lowest priority.  That said, adding a one liner to the current Android wiki
> entry pointing people to GIT for the current build instructions (which work
> very well) could save people some time.  I wasted quite a bit of time on the

I did this.

> outdated build instructions as I don't normally pull the Packaging
> repository and did not know of the new instructions.
>
> 2)  Starting the app is really slow.  The current database connection screen
> confuses the family.  Hopefully that's something that gets polished a bit
> once the real work gets completed.  Or as goes open source, I or others are
> always able to submit a patch.

Is it slow everytime for you?  I've only seen it be really slow the
first time it is run or when there is a real connectivity issue.  Does
setting a "custom indentifier for frontend preferences" in the
database settings help?

> 3)  Configuring long presses wasn't very intuitive.  Especially with
> confirmation messages about buttons already being used elsewhere when I
> don't think they actually were.  The separation between creating long pause
> keys, and then adding them elsewhere feels disconnected.  I don't have any
> better suggestions other than the feedback.  There's no real obvious way I
> can think of with the current UI other than what was done beyond
> conditionally having the client set sane defaults based on platform.  Yes,
> not that helpful.

This is a known issue.  Fixing it will require a significant rewrite
of the key bindings handling.

David
--
David Engel