[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

BP lists at qucae.com
Mon Jun 18 18:23:21 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 09:50 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 06/18/2018 12:21 PM, Michael wrote:

> I have plans to look into what happens when MythTV goes into the
> background or the Shield goes to sleep. For now it is best to exit
> MythTV before that happens.
>
> If the frontend just exits it is likely crashing. If you create a ticket
> we can look into it.
>
> I do not think Alt-F4 will cause it to exit. Is there a jump point for
> exit? There probably should be one.

For me, any period of inactivity leaves the app in a hung,
non-responsive state.  I have to kill it.

Some other feedback:
1)  I know this is a work in progress, so updating documentation is the
lowest priority.  That said, adding a one liner to the current Android
wiki entry pointing people to GIT for the current build instructions
(which work very well) could save people some time.  I wasted quite a
bit of time on the outdated build instructions as I don't normally pull
the Packaging repository and did not know of the new instructions.

2)  Starting the app is really slow.  The current database connection
screen confuses the family.  Hopefully that's something that gets
polished a bit once the real work gets completed.  Or as goes open
source, I or others are always able to submit a patch.

3)  Configuring long presses wasn't very intuitive.  Especially with
confirmation messages about buttons already being used elsewhere when I
don't think they actually were.  The separation between creating long
pause keys, and then adding them elsewhere feels disconnected.  I don't
have any better suggestions other than the feedback.  There's no real
obvious way I can think of with the current UI other than what was done
beyond conditionally having the client set sane defaults based on
platform.  Yes, not that helpful.

4)  I've been using Mythtv for nearly 15 years without resetting and
starting from scratch.  This is the first time that I've needed storage
groups for Video.  The migration to storage groups was messy and
required db manipulation.  Once I figured out that you can re-scan and
that at least chops off the paths and sets a host, I could at least
play.  I had to manually chop off the paths for all the metadata files
as well though.  I also had to change the host from my remote backend to
the primary which actually stores all the files.  This isn't Android
specific, but could impact people that replace ageing ion and other full
fledged PCs to thinner, more efficient solutions such as the Shield.

Overall, this is looking really good.  It's a great addition to the
project.  I appreciate all the work that's gone in to this and is
ongoing.  Thank you!