[mythtv] NVidia Pixellation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:35:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 10:56 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> Interestingly, when I first encountered this problem (probably 8 or
> more years ago) older Nvidia cards didn't exhibit the problem.

This is not entirely surprising.

Different VPU firmware in the various generations
of NVidia hardware operate differently.  Depending
on the details the decode was done in the dedicated
"PureVideo" hardware, or partially offloaded into
the general purpose CUDA implementations on the
GPU, and some parts on the CPU itself.  The VPU
hardware has undergone not only enhancements
(additional codec support, different levels and/or
profiles), but reportedly (by those with much better
testing capabilities than I possess) more subtle bug
fixes (for good/bad/ugly reasons, NVidia does not
document the bugs in older hardware variants).
Last I checked, PureVideo was up to feature set I
(although I don't know of anyone using a Titan V
GPU (at $3000) in their HTPC).