[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:45:40 UTC 2018

On 07/06/2018 11:17 AM, John P Poet wrote:
> A little bit of a tangent...
>
> My local CBS and FOX stations are now both on the same transport --
> 13.1 (1080i) and 13.2 (720p).  In addition, they have added another SD
> channel at 13.3.  All jammed into 19 mbit.  The result is that the
> quality of those channels is pathetic to say the least.
>
> When using VDPAU for decoding those mpeg2 stream, I now get lots of
> pixelization when watching CBS and some when watching FOX.  I have
> found that I can get rid of the pixelization if I use VDPAU for the
> renderer but Standard for the decoder.  ffmpeg seems to be much more
> tolerant of the errors than VDPAU.

See https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/609271#609271

This was the inspiration for 538f99e0a6. Using that new feature I now
have my playback profile set (on the frontends that use VDPAU) so that
they use standard decoding for mpeg2 and VDPAU decoding for other video
formats.

> When using the standard (ffmpeg) decoder, though, I do see "residue"
> frames being shown (flickering) when jumping to another position.
> This does not happen when using VDPAU for decoding.  It sounds like
> this the same same thing that David is seeing on the Shield.  I
> figured I would relay this story just in case it helps to understand
> the issue.

I don't recall seeing that. Maybe it is associated with deinterlacing.
Is it only with recordings from those stations? I actually watch most of
my NBC recordings on a raspberry pi (openmax decoder) and this does not
have the pixellation problem that I see with VDPAU. Do you actually see
a wrong frame displayed?