[mythtv] Update recording file name from command line?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:23:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:40 AM Torbjorn Jansson <
torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:

> i'm not exactly sure what your trying to do but regarding renaming
> recordings,
> why not leave them as is and just use mythlink.pl instead?

I already wrote a custom systemd service and timer to run mythlink in order
to get Plex friendly link names, that's not the problem.

The problem is Plex / Roku TVs are having issues with audio sync on SOME
channels and the current work around I have is to force Plex to transcode
at a lower bitrate where we lose video quality visibly and lose
surround sound, or I have noticed that when I use avidemux and simply
change the container from mpeg-ts to MKV and just copy the streams it seems
to fix it as well.

Since just changing container formats is easy I would like to setup a user
job to do this for all recordings and the purist in me would like use the
correct extension, .mkv, instead of leaving the file as a .ts and hoping
that Plex doesn't care about the extension.

mythtranscode supporting a lossless transcode for h264 like it does for
MPEG2 would be ideal but it doesn't appear to have made it to the top of
anyone's priority list even though most US cable broadcasts are in H264 now
(can't speak for outside US).

So I'm trying to figure out a reliable workaround.

Maybe adding the ability to rename recorded file names to mythutil wouldn't
be too hard to implement.

Thanks,
Richard