[mythtv] Playback next steps

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Dec 17 20:01:06 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 11:19:23AM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 12/17/18 6:21 AM, Mark Kendall wrote:
> >
> >     --- On Fri, 14/12/18, David Engel <david at istwok.net
> >     <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     > I didn't
> >     > realize mythavtest was rotting.  I thought it was a
> >     > "simpler"
> >     > wrapper for
> >     > tv_play/mythplayer without the rest of the frontend.  Is
> >     > that not the case?
> >

> > No - it isn't rotting, I just extended it a little - for double rate
> > deinterlacing and gpu decoder usage.
> > I wrote mythavtest to just play video at the fastest possible rate
> > (using the current display profile) with no audio and no a/v sync. You
> > need to turn off any sync to vblank that the driver may be using. When
> > using opengl, there are also a number of environment variables that you
> > can set to disable various functionality to test different code paths.

I see.

> > The 'extra filter stage' could no doubt go (if still needed) after UYVY
> > changes.
> >
> I added a setting to extra filter stage because on fire tv 4k, randomly,
> playback would just show a black screen. Adding that extra stage solved it,
> but I do not understand what was happening. If I pulled up an OSD display, I
> could see the video playing through the transparent parts of the OSD, but
> the rest of the screen remained black.

Peter, have you gotten and tried the 4k update yet?  I read that
started rolling out to the public over the weekend.

> > thoughts?
> >

> This is mostly way over my head, but it sounds good.
>
> My recommendation is that we should only commit this into master after we
> have created the fixes/30 branch in January. The changes sound major and
> they could potentially cause some unexpected issues with some
> configurations. I would not want the users who install from Ubuntu 19.04 to
> encounter problems.

As I noted elsewhere, Mark's fixes should still go in (as long as
they're not too invasive and risky).  Any major work should wait.
Mark, if you're still feeling ambitious, create a branch named
devel/<whatever> and commit there until the release branch is cut.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net