[mythtv] Proposed Ansible Changes, Getting ready for ansible 2.11

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:16:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM David Hampton <mythtv at love2code.net> wrote:

> I understand that Ubuntu is still supporting 14.04.  I thought the
> MythTV policy was to support the last two long term releases of Ubuntu,
> which would be 16.04 and 18.04.

Per the "Coding Guidelines" section of the MythTV wiki:

    Platform support: Myth targets distro support for
    maintained releases at the following revisions: "stable"
    for Debian, "current" and "current-1" for Fedora, "current"
    and "LTS" for Ubuntu.

While exceptions can made on a case by case basis,
and I would agree that the wording about LTS can be
interpreted differently by some, I would not expect that
LTS-2 (i.e. 14.04) would still be in scope to hold up the
project moving forward for their development and
targeted next releases on the latest distro platforms.

But in the case of ansible, which is targeted much more
towards devs and those that build their own binaries,
I would argue it just does not matter in any case.  Ansible
is a tool to make certain development, building, and
installation easier, but is not a required tool for any of
those (one can still install packages without Ansible).