[mythtv] can't get the apk to run on my Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:47:43 UTC 2018

On 08/14/2018 12:21 AM, Ed Clark wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Sorry for emailing you directly, but I wasn't sure this belonged on
> the mythtv-users list.
>
> I've tried installing a couple versions of your apk on my Shield. But,
> when I try to run them,
> they just die.  I get "your application encountered a fatal error and
> cannot continue".
>
> I don't know if I installed it incorrectly, or if my Shield's version
> (hardware or software) is
> incompatible, or I need to install something else, or any number of
> other possibilities.
>
> Do you have a pointer on the best way to install your apk?  I've never
> done development
> on/for android, so I'm learning by googling, and there seems to be a
> lot of options for
> doing things.
>
> I realize that your work is not ready for prime time, but I'd like to
> play with it on the side
> of my regular MythTV installation so I can get comfortable with how
> Shield works before
> springing it on my wife.
>
> (I bought this Shield - there was a sale at Best Buy a couple of weeks
> back - with the
> intention of replacing a RPi3 + AppleTV (for Netflix, HBO, ...) + HDMI
> selector setup
> down the road.  The RPi3 is doing ok, but its responsiveness is only
> borderline
> acceptable and it locks up occasionally.  Throw in the need for the
> HDMI selector and
> my WAF rating on the MythTV front isn't where I'd like it to be. Once
> mythfrontend is
> stable (enough) on Shield, I think I can raise my rating. :-) )
>
> Many thanks for your work on this!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Clark
>
> P.S.  If you think is better handled on the users mailing list, I can
> move it there.

It is best to send email about the shield to the developer's list
mythtv-dev at mythtv.org , as I am not the only person working on it.

Please try with the latest 64 bit version from here
https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/

You don't need to install anything else.

You can install with es file manager, a web download or adb. I prefer
adb. Look here for instructions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/280763/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android-tv/

If you still get a failure you may need to grab a log with adb. Let me
know if you need instructions.

Peter