[mythtv] Android clean-up

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:56:52 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 05:16 PM, David Engel wrote:
> I have one caveat for anyone who wants to use your packages or anyone
> else's packages for that matter.  Android won't replace an existing
> package with another one if the signature changes.  If you want to
> install a new version from a new package "source", you need to
> uninstall the old version first.  Since most of the configuration is
> kept in the database, that's not a showstopper, but it is an
> annoyance.
>
> I ran into this myself when testing a full build yesterday for John.
> I had to copy the debug.keystore file from original, .android
> directory to avoid the uninstall step.

There is no keystore in my ~/android directory, although the Readme.md
says I should have a keystore and a release keystore.

I assume that if the person installing has allowed installations from
unknown sources that this is OK.

Do I need a keystore or can I leave it out and distribute unsigned apk
files? Presumable that would avoid the problem mentioned above?

Peter