[mythtv] Android clean-up

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Aug 7 21:16:16 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 03:39:14PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I would like to make some small improvements to the android scripts:
>
> 1. Change run parameters to have default log settings "-v general,playback".
> Current settings produce a lot of extra log output. Developers can always
> change them locally as needed for debugging.

Or even just "-v general" It's easy enough to change the verobse
setting using the telnet interface.  I don't object to either setting
with or without playback.

> 2. gdb.sh copies files to so/. Change it to use the settings in make.inc to
> create separate directories for 64 bit and 32 bit. Currently it only copies
> libraries if they have changed, but if you switch between 32 and 64 bit this
> will go wrong.

No objection.

> 3. strip libraries when creating apk package. I believe the debug symbols
> are only needed in the linux copy of the libraries, the copy deployed in the
> apk does not need them for debugging purposes.

No objection.

> I want to try mythfrontend on an android tablet, 32 bit, to see whether it
> works there.
>
> I have created a place on bintray.com for distributing packages, as I do
> with Raspberry pi. See this URL:
>
> https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic

I have one caveat for anyone who wants to use your packages or anyone
else's packages for that matter.  Android won't replace an existing
package with another one if the signature changes.  If you want to
install a new version from a new package "source", you need to
uninstall the old version first.  Since most of the configuration is
kept in the database, that's not a showstopper, but it is an
annoyance.

I ran into this myself when testing a full build yesterday for John.
I had to copy the debug.keystore file from original, .android
directory to avoid the uninstall step.

> Evidently it is possible to install a package on android from a URL once you
> have set it to allow packages from unknown sources. I am not sure whether
> that requires you to first install a browser or whether there is an easy way
> to install from a URL. Unlike a phone, NVidia Shield does not seem to come
> with a browser or a way to receive text messages or emails. Some sites
> recommend using ES File manager for this.

There are a handful of web browsers available for the Shield that are
remote control friendly.  Puffin Browser is one I remember off the top
of my head.  What I usually do sideloading is to copy the apks to
Google Drive and then use File Commander or ES File Explorer.  Both
are available in the TV version of the Play Store and directly support
Drive access.

David
--
David Engel