[mythtv] Updates to mythtv/external and required system libraries

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 02:57:38 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 2:31 AM David Hampton <mythtv at love2code.net> wrote:

> Its complaining that something in CardUtil::IsCableCardPresent is
> overwriting the stack, which is interesting since it really doesn't
> write much to the stack.  It stores an int, a pointer, a QString, and
> an hdhomerun_tuner_status_t structure.  That's probably the culprit,
> given that it has two embedded char[32] strings.

This is just an educated guess, but.....

Be aware, that as the libhdhomerun issue
https://github.com/Silicondust/libhdhomerun/issues/4
points out (which SiliconDust had decided to not address), the
various releases of libhdhomerun are most specifically *NOT*
compatible, and can result in overflow of buffers or not properly
processing the contents of the structs because they use the
same library versions for different results (the struct changed
sizes).  I considered this lack of versioning a mistake (which
was the point of the github issue which provided a method for
old calls to continue to work while providing newer apps the
capability of using the newer features), and is why I (knowingly)
explicitly decided to update the mythtv external library rather
than even considering using a system library which could at
some point be the wrong version.

Of course, if you compile and run on the exact same system
every time any libraries are updated, there should be no
problem, but since there are few ways to provide those
guarantees, some issues may result.