[mythtv] NVidia Pixellation

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sun Aug 5 19:41:03 UTC 2018

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 11:20:56AM -0700, Aman Gupta wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 07/30/2018 04:26 PM, Aman Gupta wrote:
> >
> > Aman, do you have a good connection at Nvidia?  My local ABC station
> >> seems to have again started sending streams that show corruption when
> >> decoded with MediaCodec (and VDPAU, for that matter), but not when
> >> decoded with ffmpeg software.  I have a short sample that I can
> >> provide.
> >>

> > Yes I can forward the bug report and sample if you email them to me.
> > Please test the sample with the latest Exoplayer and make sure it
> > reproduces there so they can investigate easily.
> >

> >> I have a channel that has this problem. The local NBC station changed
> > hands at the beginning of 2017 and since then the stream gets periodic
> > pixellation but only on NVidia. The pixellations are at exactly the same
> > places on Shield as with VDPAU on my low-end, $20 NVidia cards. Apparently
> > NVidia are using the same (faulty) software in the Shield as they have used
> > for years in the low-end GEForce 210.
> >

> I hear back about my bug report. I forgot I had submitted a similar report
> several months ago as well. Apparently it's a known issue in the hardware
> and there's no software fix possible. Pretty disappointing. =(

Yes, that's definitely disappointing.  Can they say what conditions
cause the problem?  I know the chances of anything changing are slim,
but perhaps we could pass the information on to our local TV stations.
I know I've seen the problem come and go in the past so it's something
they can control in their encoders.

David

--
David Engel