[mythtv] Too much EIT activity causing defective recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 2 03:50:24 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 08:21:00 +1000, you wrote:

>I have an afatech 399U and it is woeful when both channels are running.
>USB2 and not a good implementation I think. I had to stop using it for
>myth or only enable 1 tuner. Good eough for random PC watching though so
>thats what it was relegated to.
>Cant say about the 499U.

Yes, now that you remind me, I also have an Afatech 399UR, and while
each of its dual tuners works fine individually, the Linux drivers for
it have never had a fix for the problem where it has to select the
correct tuner for one bit of hardware that is attached to both tuners.
The result is that when both tuners are used, that bit of hardware
gets used by both tuners at once instead of sequentially and the
recordings fail.  The problem is nothing to do with the USB2
implementation, it is a simple problem of the drivers not having an
appropriate locking system for use of shared hardware.

If the 499U is the same, then it can not be used in Linux with both
tuners active at the same time.  I have moved my 399UR to my Windows
box where it works fine.