[mythtv] FFmpeg plans

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Mon Apr 30 16:21:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 11:52 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> 2. subtree includes a copy of FFmpeg's repo in our repo.
>
> Correct.  Although I don't think it's the whole "repo", where a repo is
> every object ever created in a project and so includes all branches,
> tags, etc.  Rather I think git subtree (and subrepo) are just taking
> the content of a single branch and copying it to your subdir.

AIUI technically what it does (without --squash) is take the tree-sha
of the tree (the datastructure which is the git equivalent to a
directory) pointed to by an upstream commit (perhaps/probably one on a
branch) and grafts it in directly as an entry in a sub-tree (i.e. a
subdirectory) of the tree of the downstream repo.

Ian.