[mythtv] FFmpeg plans

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:47:09 UTC 2018

On 04/29/2018 11:55 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-04-28 at 16:08 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> 2. Create a subtree of FFmpeg master
>>   From git root:
>> git subtree add -P mythtv/external/FFmpeg
>> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg.git master [--squash]
> I use https://github.com/ingydotnet/git-subrepo in another project with
> good success.  If you do use it, be sure to use the release/0.4.0
> branch.
I looked at it and I am not too clear what advantages it offers us over
subtree. One advantage I see is it keeps commits to the main code
separate from those to the subrepo, thereby making it easier to send
back upstream changes. However we do not have the ability to push
changes back to FFmpeg. I think the developers may be reluctant to use a
third-party component like this unless there are very clear advantages.
>> 3. Apply our FFmpeg customizations and commit them.
> Why are these not upstreamed?  Are they not generally useful?
These have been in place for a long time and developers who originally
created them have submitted them to FFmpeg a long time ago but they were
never accepted.

Peter