[mythtv] Problem with commit 9506b88 2017/10/09 : Cleanup gcc and clang warnings generated by -Wextra switch.

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:06:32 UTC 2017

On 10/25/2017 12:29 AM, David Hampton wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I was afraid you were going to say that it was that cleanup commit.
> That was an aggregation of 124 smaller commits over probably six
> months.  Given that Myth works on your AMD system and my x86 systems,
> my guess would be that it is probably in a change to one of the openmax
> files.
>
> I've looked at the changes to files with 'omx' in the name and nothing
> stands out to me as possibly being a problem.  There appear to be only
> four patches that modify five 'omx' files.  I've uploaded those patches
> tohttp://love2code.net/mythtv/  if you want to try reverting them and
> see if that fixes the crashing.
>
> I have a RPi Model B+ v1.2 that was given to me but I've never powered
> it on.  Would this be sufficient for me to use to try and bisect the
> problem?  I'd probably need some help in getting the RPi set up.  (Is
> it possible to cross-compile for AMD on an x86 system, or would I need
> to run native compiles on the RPi itself?)
It is amazing how many people say that they have a Raspberry Pi sitting
in a drawer that they have never used.
We only support RPI 2 and 3. RPI 1 has only 500M memory and one core.
RPI2 and 3 have 1G memory and 4 cores. I don't know what the challenges
would be with RPI1 but I think it would be a frustrating effort.

I do not cross-compile. It is possible but I have not found the formula.
Lawrence Rust had a bash script of several thousand lines with many
patches to do it. It seemed too much effort at that time.

> I didn't realize that git didn't push all my intermediate nodes when I
> pushed a merge, but that makes sense.  I will certainly write merge
> notes more carefully going forward.
I can see all of your intermediate commits and their descriptions in the
log, but when I check out those commits the compile fails because other
changes I had made to the main repository are not there. It seems that
when I check out an intermediate commit that I am looking at a copy of
your repo at that commit.

> David
>
> P.S.  I could also revert the aggregate patch, and then rebase and
> reapply the 124 individual patches.  That would make the individual
> changes visible to everyone.
I don't think we want to do that yet. Let me first try reversing the
patch you supplied here. If that does not work I can try bisecting your
changes and re-applying them. I don't know how much success I will have,
but I will let you know. Maybe for future it would help to split the
merges into smaller groups.

Peter