[mythtv] 10 times better H.265/HEVC decoding performance with WinTV compared to MythTV. Why?

Andreas Mayer and.mayer at aon.at
Thu Nov 2 17:46:22 UTC 2017

Hi Bjoern,

 > I tested --enable-cuda, --enable-cuvid, --enable-nvenc and
--enable-libnpp.
I did that as well (with cuda 8.0) but as far as I know mythtv currently
has no cuda/cuvid video decoding support.
I have made some tests with ffplay (3.3.4 packman) and mythffplay (0.29
fixes built with ffmpeg cuda/cuvid/nvenc), but until now I was not able
to play 4K HEVC content without frame drops (but currently I'm scaling
down to 1920x1080 because I have no 4K display available and my
mainboard is already some years old).

 > Would it be a good idea to upgrade the Nvidia card to a graphics card
 > with HEVC decoding support (e.g. GTX 1030 or GTX 1050)? I mean, is the
 > VDPAU HEVC support stable?
I'm using Astra DVB-S2 HEVC test channels here (I have no DVB-T2
hardware available), but they all use HEVC Main 10 profile which VDPAU
currently does not support (and may never support, even if the hardware,
like my GT 1030 would have support).
What's the HEVC profile and resolution in Germany?
If the profile is Main you my be lucky.
vdpauinfo on my Mythtv box (used as backend and frontend) shows (with
Nvidia driver 384.90 on OpenSuSE Leap 42.3):
name                        level macbs width height
HEVC_MAIN                      153 262144  8192  8192
HEVC_MAIN_10                   --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_STILL                --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_12                   --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_444                  --- not supported ---
VDPAU for mpeg2 ts 1920x1080i works fine here.

BR,
Andreas